Calls for UK response after protester attacked at Chinese consulate

THE GUARDIAN - Emma Graham-Harrison in Taipei and Rajeev Syal - OCT 17, 2022


Foreign secretary urged to take action after Hong Kong demonstrator punched and kicked in Manchester

Protester attacked on grounds of Chinese consulate in Manchester – video report

The UK foreign secretary, James Cleverly, is facing demands to act against the Chinese government as police confirmed that a man was assaulted after being dragged into the grounds of the country’s consulate in Manchester.



Labour and senior Tories have called for the Chinese ambassador to explain what happened after footage appeared to show a pro-democracy demonstrator being beaten and kicked by several men. Police said the assailants had emerged from the consular building.


The alleged victim, known as Bob, said he had hair pulled from his scalp during the attack. Police said he spent the night in hospital. A photograph published by VOA Cantonese showed some of his injuries, just below his eyes, which left him bleeding and bruised.


Greater Manchester police confirmed its officers had witnessed an assault out of the consulate building in the Rusholme area and had then intervened.


“Shortly before 4pm a small group of men came out of the building and a man was dragged into the consulate grounds and assaulted,” GMP said. “Due to our fears for the safety of the man, officers intervened and removed the victim from the consulate grounds.”


Police are not supposed to enter consular grounds without permission.


The Labour MP David Lammy, the shadow foreign secretary, demanded the Chinese ambassador be summonsed by Cleverly to give a full account, describing the allegations as “deeply concerning and, if accurate, totally unacceptable”.


He said: “The UK stands for freedom, the rule of law and democracy. The quashing of peaceful protest will never be tolerated on our streets.”


Downing Street said the reports were “extremely concerning”, while Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham said it is “never acceptable” for a protester to be assaulted.


The alleged victim was part of a group of up to 40 people demonstrating on Sunday at the start of the 20th Communist party congress in Beijing, which is expected to extend Xi’s leadership for a further five years.


Images from the attack circulating on social media show a grey-haired man in a blue scarf holding Bob by his hair just inside the consulate gates, as other men attack him and a British police officer tries to pull him away.


“They shouldn’t have done that. We are supposed to have freedom to say whatever we want here [in the UK],” Bob, originally from Hong Kong, told the BBC.


The grey-haired man had previously come out of the consulate, demanded the removal of satirical posters of the Chinese president, Xi Jinping, and torn down a protest banner.


Several protest banners had earlier been placed outside the consulate, one with the words “Heaven will destroy the Chinese Communist party”, and a caricature of Xi wearing a crown.


A spokesperson for the consulate told the BBC the protesters had “hung an insulting portrait of the Chinese president at the main entrance”. The spokesperson added: “This would be intolerable and unacceptable for any diplomatic and consular missions of any country. Therefore, we condemn this deplorable act with strong indignation and firm opposition.”


There was widespread condemnation of the attack.


The former Conservative party leader Iain Duncan Smith called for the home secretary, Suella Braverman, to “look into this urgently”.


“The UK government must demand a full apology from the Chinese ambassador to the UK and demand those responsible are sent home to China,” he tweeted.

Advertisement

The exiled Hong Kong politician Nathan Law said the attack had terrifying implications for Hong Kong citizens who had fled China’s crackdown to the UK, and called for a strong British government response.


“If the consulate staff responsible are not held accountable, Hongkongers would live in fear of being kidnapped and persecuted,” he tweeted. “Foreign and home secretaries must investigate and protect our community and people in the UK.”

Benedict Rogers, the chief executive of the campaign group Hong Kong Watch, said: “This appalling act of thuggery by CCP (Chinese Communist party) in Manchester cannot go unpunished.


“[The Foreign Office] must summon [Chinese ambassador] Zheng Zeguang first thing tomorrow morning, prosecute those responsible, and if they can’t be prosecuted, expel CCP officials responsible – without delay.”


In his speech opening the party congress in Beijing, Xi celebrated China’s crushing of Hong Kong’s autonomy, and warned Taiwan that the “wheels of history” were turning towards Beijing taking control of the island democracy.


Britain opened a path to citizenship for Hong Kong residents after Beijing’s crackdown on a pro-democracy movement swept away the city’s autonomy and rights including freedom of expression and protest.


There have already been more than 140,000 applications for visas under the scheme and the British government expects hundreds of thousands of people to move to the UK within five years.


ORIGINAL >

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/oct/17/hong-kong-protester-attacked-at-chinese-consulate-in-manchester?CMP=share_btn_tw


3 views0 comments